Nelson Gay, fronting one of Barbados’ best beaches, is discreetly screened by its own tropical gardens for total privacy
Built in the finest colonial style, Nelson Gay makes the most of probably the best location on the favoured west coast of Barbados. Next to the celebrated Cobbler’s Cove Hotel, and located on a half-mile crescent of pristine coral sand, this house is one of Barbados’ best kept secrets.
Built in the ‘60s for US Ambassador Robert M. Scotten, a personal friend of President F.D. Roosevelt, the house was designed by British architect Barbara Hill. Inspired by a book on life in the Windward Islands, she moved from England to Barbados in 1958.
Erté visited Nelson Gay numerous times, staying in what the owner now calls the Erté Bedroom. As a gesture of gratitude and friendship, Erté painted a black mermaid on the bedroom wall, which remains there to this day.
Mature landscaped tropical gardens
This elegant beachfront coral stone Palladian mansion is set in nearly two acres of mature, landscaped tropical gardens with many fine trees, fronting the immaculate Cobbler’s Cove beach. An impressive 50’ pool leads the eye naturally from the house to the beach. Tiled in Italian green mosaic, the swimming pool blends beautifully with the lush tropical vegetation. At the far end of the garden alongside the beach is an octagonal “Chinese” gazebo, a wonderful place for sunset cocktails and long, leisurely meals cooled by the ocean breeze.
Formal or al fresco dining
The elegant garden gazebo by the beach seats up to 14. It is equipped with a wet bar and fridge. A dining table on the partly covered terrace can seat up to 20. The coral stone formal dining room features a glass topped table by Oliver Messel and seats up to 12.
Restrained good taste
Nelson Gay is impressive but never pretentious. A unique blend of elegance and good taste makes it a very special house for discerning guests. The dining table was designed by Oliver Messell with 12 French antique chairs and a large Messell mirror. There are 5 different place settings, including Wedgewood, Rosenthal and Mikasa. Dinner is by candle light and is served by your own uniformed butler, chef and maid.
The rooms are airy and mostly decorated in white with some green to complement the tropical surroundings. The beds are new and comfortable with lOO% high count cotton sheets and soft hypoallergenic pillows. The house is child friendly as all sofas, and beach loungers are covered in washable Sunbrella fabric.
Five Star Service
The well-trained and friendly core staff consist of a chef, housekeeper, maid/laundress, gardener and night watchman, all supervised by a part-time house manager. The staff will help you to plan your meals, shop, cook, serve, do your laundry, and make your holiday truly relaxing, stress-free and unforgettable.
Nelson Gay amenities
- Nelson Gay is on ONE Level property
- Every bedroom is Air Conditioned with quiet spilt AC units. Some rooms have additional ceiling fans
- Every bedroom has a TV connected to a large package of programs, Netflix & Amazon Prime
- Very fast WIFI – over 500mps
- Every room has a small fridge and writing desk
- Enhanced cleaning practices throughout the property
- A safe in every room
- A panic button in every room
- A night watchman – from 7pm to 7am
- Security Alarms & Fire Security
- A 50ft pool that can be heated at an extra cost
- 8 lounge chairs by the pool
- A large tropical garden
- A gazebo by the beach with sofas
- A beach shower
- Swimming in the ocean is literally a few steps away
- 2 BBQs
Open-air gym with fans, lights, a small fridge, and access to a bathroom. Equipment includes:
- Stationary bike
- Rowing machine
- Free weights
- Weight bench
- Multi Weight machine
- Media Room with 55inch TV connected to the Netflix, Cable & Amazon Prime
- In the living room, we have a JBC Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Sonos music System
- A large Alexa speaker connected to Spotify
- A writing table with a fax & printer
- Ping pong table
- Pickleball court in final stages of construction
- Water volley ball net
- Snorkel, masks, floats,
- Many board games
- Hundreds of books
- Basketball Hoop
- Chef (2 in winter), Housekeeper, Maid/Laundress, Gardener, Night Watchman. Supervised by part-time house manager. Butler available for larger groups by special arrangement.
(The staff levels can be varied to suit the number of guests and season).